Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Back in the game....

Yes you herd right! I R Back baby! Not to brag or assume that anyone really cares LOL

Anyway why am I doing this blog? Well pull up a chair and let me tell you...

SO if you don't know. I recently started back between the pipes after a 7 year absence. Sure I play in a 'beer-league' but its a damn good division! One thing I did was I went into this thinking that I would playing against a bunch of old men who couldn't muster a wrist shot let alone a slap shot. BOY was I wrong!

Let me tell you friends! These old guys have some TALENT! And they aren't really old the oldest in my division is 37 the youngest is 19 and is my back up. Quite the talented goaltender himself but he has no wish to play in the minors..Sad day! Boy has a ton of natural talent!

Most you are either thinking 'goalie? is she crazy?' or 'goalie? thats not hard.' No i'm not crazy...well I guess that depends on who you talk to :) As far as the position of goaltender being easy? PSH! If you think its so easy lets strap some pads on you and hit you pucks!

In all honesty folks its probably the hardest and most demanding position physically and mentally  in the sport of hockey. Think about it whos the first to get the blame on a loss? The centers? Wingers? D-men? Doubtful. The blame 90% of the time falls on the goalie. Maybe not from his team mates. But from himself and fans.

So yes I am back in the net (getting back on track here). I started in Sept 2010 after a longtime friend and fellow goaltender (who was also one of my goalie coaches back in the day) convinced me to give it another shot. I'm glad I did because it feels AMAZING to be back in the position I loved.


So our season is going VERY well! Even with the injurys and player changes we've had. My teammates accepted me almost instantly. Something I was surprised at! Our team is currently ranked 3rd! WOOT! With a season record of 15-4-2 (wins-loss-tie)


The game tonight was awesome!!!!! We won 2-0! Securing my 4th shutout of the season! This time against the number one ranked team in our division! I was going to go play by play buts 12 am and im exhausted so it will have to wait till tomorrow :)

But lets just say it was a very fast paced and physical game (lots of hard checks and shoves) Those of you who have known me since I started back, know what the outcome was the last time we played this team. 4-3 win but very very sloppy. (we drew ALOT of stupid penaltys and didnt capitalize on the power plays like we usually do) This was also the game I got hung out to dry BIG time thanks to the 2nd lines collective brain fart in the opponets end of the ring resulting in a 3 on 0. (meaning 3 of them against little old me!) Sadly they already knew I tend to panic and get quick and flop around like a fish out of water when something like this happends. That time though they were VERY agressive with what seemed like 20 passes between the red like and the hash marks.

Was able to block the first show, failed to control the rebound, barely stoped the second shot then their Captain went high glove side and for some reason I did a split save instead of a butterfly save and not only did the puck go in BUT I hurt my hip flexor muscle in my right leg...grrrrr

This frustrated the HELL out of me! I stretch for 20 mins before going on the ice then another 10 off and on in our 20 min warm up as well stretching every other day of the week! So when I pulled that muscle I was upset! I use to have NO problems with fancy saves like that. I keep forgetting i'm not 16 anymore. My body dosnt bend and move like it use to! My physical therapist keeps telling me that. He says after this 6 month regiment of PT for my back injury I should regain SOME of my flexibility but it will never be what it was in 2000 :(

Anyway! Tonight I was on FIYAH!  I went into not feeling all that great but as soon as play started I was in the zone! Even went behind the net to stop the puck!

Theres more to share but im fighting to stay awake and im sure there are spelling and grammer errors out the but atm so i'm going to say NIGHT! And this 'tender is going to hit the bed!

Thanks to those who took the time to read this entire block! You guys ROCK! Dont forget to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment