Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sick ramblings

So this one wont be solely about hockey. But its something I want to share :)

So those of you who know us know that in 2009 we adopted out first wolf hybrid. We named him Jacob (yes after Jacob Black ONLY because he looks almost exactly like Jakes wolf form lol) hes been such an amazing dog. The only issue I've had is getting him up in the morning lol If it was up to him we'd lay in bed all day. Even now hes sprawled on the bed snoring. Silly wolf.

7 months later we brought his full sister Lilly home. Now 11 1/2 months. She was a bit of a challenge at first. She was very afraid of new people aside from my mom and I whom she'd gotten to know when we visiting Carol the gal who rescued them. Shes tolerable of our cats and her brother but the other two smaller dogs we have to watch because shes quick to growl at them and my grandfathers dog (chiwawa yes i know i spelt it wrong) is very much an alpha female. They are getting better but Lilly still cant be left around her alone. Which seems to be more then ok with her lol

We got Lilly to be Matts dog (my hubby) and she was very much his up until he got a job in town and stays in town durring the week. Now shes very much my dog. I dont mind tho. Shes less affectionate then Jake is and more needy which is nice where hes more of an independent wolf.

They both know that I am very much the alpha and they better toe my line or suffer lol jk But you cant train/disoplen a hybrid like a reg. dog and they most certainly are NOT for everyone. I got very lucky with these two. The only reason I took them is because we got along very well the first couple times we went to see them and both Lilly and Jake reconized me as alpha. Thats NOT to say Lilly dosnt test me because she does on a daily basis. But in some weird way its making our bond that much tighter.

For example. Today when I was out in the barn I left the pups in the yard. And I was out of her sight no more then 5 mins and she started this mournful, lonely howl even though her brother and her ducks (yes ducks) were in there with her. Jake wasnt too effected by his sisters anxiety but then hes use to me coming and going all day.

Ive herd them howl before but this was different and instantly I got worried so i  came out to check on them and you would've thought her long lost lover was returning lol she was yipping and running the fence line and carrying on like nothing else. I came in the back yard and she wasnt instantly all over me. Licking my face and whinning. Jake could careless lol He was sun bathing on the porch.

I have such a strange bond with this animal that it blows my mind. Shes also very protective of me..Not aggressive or anything but when Matt comes home and he sits on the couch next to me she will wedge herself in between us and whine that is until he gives her a bone and she could careless about me lol

I've been doing alot of work with Carols wolf rescue that im seriously debating on getting some kind of zoology degree. Wolves are such amazing creatures. Even the hybrids. Smart, smart, smart! If you own one my advice to you is DO NOT let them get bored lol They will find ways to keep themselves entertained!

On another kind of wild animal note. I rode our newest mustang last week! Well rode as in sat on him bareback in the round pen and he didnt kill me lol jk No I climbed on him bareback and he walked on without my asking. I was so shocked he didnt shoot out from under  me (much like Foster did the first time I got on him bareback) I forgot to stop him and make him stand lol His name is Sparta (love that name) hes a dun BLM Mustang we adopted from Oregon in Sept. and ive worked really hard wit him all winter and he surprised me!

Mustangs are another kind of "taboo" animal I love. We got our first in Aug of 2008 and from the moment he stepped off that trailer I was in love! Three years later Matty and I are the proud parents of three wild ones! All geldings and i'm hoping on finding a nice filly to add to the band and maybe consider adding to our breeding program!

When I got hurt in Canada at 18 I thought my life was over. What good was I if I couldnt play hockey? Well I think i've found it. Animals! All animals love me. Dogs, cats, birgs, rats, horses, goats, chickens etc. I love working with problem horses. I.E. abused or neglected horses. Theres something about getting a horse thats been treated so badly by humans back to health and to have him truth you that warms my heart.

All 8 of my horses aside from the 3 wild ones are rescues. We've rehabed and taught them that not ALL humans are evil. I prefer to buy from whats already on the market instead of breed. Dont get me wrong we still breed horses but on a MUCH different scale then we use to. We usually have only 1-2 foals every other year from our mares. Other wise I get too over whelmed and end up not being able to spend quality time with everyone.

If your curious I share a house hold with my 87 yr old grandfather and my mom. My job is to keep an eye on the old man and pretty much run his breeding business so he dosnt have to give up his stock. But mostly just keep an eye on him because of his health which isnt too good. Better then he was even 4 months ago thanks to a pacemaker. My mom is a RN at a nursing home in Spokane Wa (50 miles away). So im helping her out as well.

Plus in all honestly with 8 horses I cant afford even a $400/month apt. Even with what Matt makes working at Culligan. It does suck that we only see each other on the weekends but its better then nothing.

I got lucky with Matt. He puts up with so much from me and yet we get along extremely well. Sure we fight but its over pretty much as soon as it starts lol We get alone really well and have way too much fun together. And hes supportive of EVERYTHING I have on my plate. From the horses to hockey.

Pretty much all of ex's were REALLY clingy and wanted allllllllllllllllll of my attention allllllllllllll the time and it drove me up the wall! I'm very independent and enjoy having ME time. Something Matt is totally fine with. I dont cuddle unless im sick or really tired and he dosnt seem to mind. Which is nice! No guilt trips!

Also my teammates even on the beer league team I play are very important to me and he understands that and dosnt get possessive or jealous (aside from the fact most are married or have a g/f) and he gets along with them all very well almost too well. Which is also nice.

Saturday was Matts 23rd bday and we had our friends and 5 guys from the team out for a bbq and a night of video games. It was good times even though I was sick. Watching the boys play Left 4 Dead 2 was epic wins lol

No comments:

Post a Comment